Wednesday, March 10, 2010

NYC Parents Gone Crazy!

Hanya pasal anak nak masuk tadika... mak bapak yg gelabah!



Although I'm not as crazy (and obsess) as them, being a part of the community of the most "cutting throat" city in the world, I share the same anxiety and hope like those parents (featured in the youtube) since my child is going to kindergarten soon. Owh... sudah besar itu budak - 5 thn suda... umur WAJIB ke sekolah according to NY law.


Of course with the same reason ~ WE WANT THE BEST FOR OUR CHILDREN ~ and since I want to be a good Muslim and my perspective of BEST comprises of dunia dan akhirat, I have already targeted a non-conventional kindergarten/school in KL which I thought the school would be the BEST for her, for me and my family (according to my perspective of BEST). I already have this plan since she was three months old (wayyy back in 2005 - ok la... i admit... I'm an obsessed mom!!).


Tapi sapa sangka yg aku anak beranak akan terjebak kat NYC ni??!! So, my plan to get her the "best" school in Malaysia will still be on once we are back for good, (Insyaallah... kalau ade rezeki la... kalau dia layak diterima masuk skolah tu...), but at the moment I'm restless in and out of surveying the "good" school for her. (Well... that explained why I was on the silence mode for the past 1 month??.. apart from malas dan bangun sampai tgh hari seperti biasa... hahaha).


While public schools are free, they are often perceived as less good than private. Private kindergarten on the other hand, will cost us about $26,000/year (average). While money is not an issue here, I noticed even the best private schools in Manhattan are not up to my standard since they are mostly either run by the Church or a bunch of secularists yg perasan elite!! Well, don't get me wrong... I'm not an anti-Christ and I'm a living product of secular education in hedonism environment!!. It's just because my perspective of 'BEST' as I mentioned before, makes me uncomfortable with the mainstream education system - both public & private - di sini dan di M'sia.


And while other parents have applied as much as 10 schools for their kid (for there is no guarantee you'll get the school u applied - both public n private) , I only applied 2 (both public schools). And I'm considering to apply another one school - private Islamic school (the only Islamic School in Manhattan with some drawbacks in term of location and transportation) or maybe I have to consider homeschooling seriously???!!! - iskkk... mmg kena solat isthikharah nih!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my dear, homeschooling is fun la tp kena consistent n rajin nak melayan.

Sina

Anonymous said...

nyam.. sakit palerrr

Hanum said...

sina - yes it's fun! hv been doing that on adhoc basis... but i know myself better... bangun pagi pun tak consistent, ni pulak nk full time homeschool??.. owh.. jd ape gamaknye anak aku nnti?? and owhh... PPP dah masuk 2 bln tak start satu hapah pon (sure prof saiful azhar ternanti2), berangan je la nak homeschool sepenuhnye... kehh...kehh...

yah - aku pong... feninn...

Anonymous said...

yg terbaik buat Hana.
ko x garang ke kalo ngajo hana tu? hehehee....hana plak jadik cekgu maknya jadik murid....

MakYan

Hanum said...

huh mak yan... tak sempat nak garang asik merajuk je kejanye... sampai aku fedap!!!.. eeii... sabar je la...
yg tak tahan tu boleh pulak dia nangis/moody bila dia tak tau jawapan!!.. and mengamuk bila tak dpt 100%. Aduhh.. pening mak nk melayan. And slalu x puas hati bila tulisan/lukisan dia buat tak cantik mcm aku buat.. (err... masalahnye aku buat pun bukannye cantik!!) PENGSANN!!